Valik the cruel in ToB strats and suggestions

A compilation of EQ-related guides. Quest spoilers, checklists, encounter strategies, etc.

Moderator: BatMonk

Nannwin
Of course I could be totally wrong and be talking out of my ass too so your mileage may vary

Valik the cruel in ToB strats and suggestions

Post by Nannwin »

This is not an inordinately complicated fight In fact, it needs to be one of the shortest fights we do.

Valik single target rampages, and hits progressively harder as the fight progresses up into really stupid ranges.

This is a "burn him down before he burns you" type of fight, with a twist.

Every 60 seconds from first aggro, Valik releases an AE knockback that will shoot you out well over a hundred feet, into the water or far island and will require a good 30 seconds or more for you to get back. You cannot lev to mititgate this. Once you are on his hate list, he instantly dispells any form of levitation.

The key is to completely avoid the AE. The AE is being timed from the moment someone shows up on HoTT. When you see a call in raid to move away from Valik, it means move away from Valik and get over the hill behind him and out of LoS. When the AE has fired, it will be called and then we all need to rush back in and beat him down even more.

If we get him to zero before he hits stupid hard, we win.

All in all, it wasn't a bad first night with this guy to get him to 60%. While we may have some tanking issues to address, I think the lack of people online and the lack of DPS resulting from that hurt us more than anything. I think next time, we'll flip the tanking order to put the lower geared tanks up and leave our bigger guns for when he really gets mean.

This is designed to be a supremely short encounter.

Getting to Valik is extremely easy [barring a mob parked at the zone in]. All you need to do is run immediately east into the ocean until you hit the zone wall. Then run north still in the ocean. Near the NE corner of the zone are two islands out off the main continent. Valik is on the northernmost. The big thing to remember is to avoid the land at all costs. Nothing is out in the sea to aggro you but there's plenty on land to do that.

No fear, no doubt....All in, balls out

"Never doubt that a small group of committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead