Laptop purchase

Drop by and say hello if you're new to our boards and check out what we've been up to. [Public]

Moderator: BatMonk

Frostweave
nomorespam: 0

Laptop purchase

Post by Frostweave »

Hello everyone,

I'm seriously considering purchasing a new laptop through Dell since my very old laptop had an unfortunate accident involving the floor and my fist. (Long story) I would be using the system for pictures and hopefully gaming :o .

Anyways, Dell is having a sale atm and I am looking at 2 different laptops. They are about a $200 price difference and the only difference I can see is in the processor and video card. I posted the info here so that I can get some recommendations on the difference between the two systems. Thanks for the help in advance!!

Frost

Dell 1501 comes with a AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core TL-56 and an integrated ATI XPress 1150 256MB Video Card.

Dell 1505 comes with Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5600 (1.83GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB) and an integrated 256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory™
Zelima
nomorespam: 22

Post by Zelima »

I bought a Dell Inspiron 9300 a year ago and have been extremely pleased with it.

I do recommend getting the upgraded video card and 1 GB of memory. It makes all the difference in the world (zone times, not having to turn off certain effects) Not to mention that laptops are a bitch to get upgraded ex post facto. It's worth the extra $200, imho...

~zel
Mistress Zelima Geishagirl
83 Shaman of the Tribunal
Proud Member of the Mystical Lightfighters

"It's not the end result that's most important, it's the journey and the memories you make with your friends and family getting there..." :)
xileksis

Post by xileksis »

heck im running sygn on a dell inspron 9100 2.8 pent with 1 gig rand and a 64 mg vid and it does lag some what but over all it does well ..

so any thing bigger faster smother smarter is frosting on the cake 8-)..
Tizgarr

Post by Tizgarr »

im running basically the same chip set/vid card as the 1505 in my acer laptop....only complaint i have with it is trying to box on it...everytime i try and log out the second toon it messes up my vid card and i have to reboot. other than that, its worked great.

I agree with zel though. i sucked it up and sprung for the 2.33 processors, 2 gigs of ram, and a 512 vid card.

another thing to concider is hd speed. i couldnt find any laptop that runs more than 5400 rpm. If your used to 7400 rpm, you might notice little slowdown when pulling from the harddrive. Thats why i sprung for the extra ram.

wildar
Dashun

Post by Dashun »

HDD's can spin at either 5400, 7200, or 10,000 rpm's. 7,400 rpm doesn't exist silly. Either way, S-ATA is faster than EIDE.

In my experience, AMD is better for gaming but need better cooling. However, with laptops, cooling is more difficult. So you might be stuck.

Video cards. Hard to judge which ones are the best. What you want to look for is on-board memory, core clock speed, and if it's using the 1.0, 2.0, or 3.0 pixel shader (3.0 being the newest and best).

RAM is where you never want to cheat yourself. 1gig or higher is gewd.
Dashun Fly`Leaf
forever Fyrelee's
Tizgarr

Post by Tizgarr »

sorry 7200, fat finger typing strikes again )

wildar