Gary Gygax: July 27, 1938 – March 4, 2008

Drop by and say hello if you're new to our boards and check out what we've been up to. [Public]

Moderator: BatMonk

Senoril
nomorespam: 0

Gary Gygax: July 27, 1938 – March 4, 2008

Post by Senoril »

For those of you who don't know, Gary Gygax passed away today at the age of 69. He, along with Dave Arneson, created Dungeons & Dragons in 1974. Were it not for D&D, EverQuest—and pretty much all fantasy role-playing games—would not exist today.
Blooddrive
nomorespam: 22

Re: Gary Gygax: July 27, 1938 – March 4, 2008

Post by Blooddrive »

well, i guess he failed his last saving throw, didnt he?
i wonder if they found him in his mother's basement, surrounded by pizza boxes, cheetos, and mountain dew?

just read up on him, seems he definately wasnt doing too well in his final days. but i hold him directly responsible for geeking me out on AD&D, thus severely dimishing the opportunities of getting laid while in high school!
RIP Gary :cry:
Blooddrive RunsFromHeals
90th Holy Defender of Mystical Lightfighters

wherever there is fire,
i will bring gasoline!
Zzzapp
nomorespam: 22

Post by Zzzapp »

I have played AD&D also alot when I was young. I bought way to much for that game, and I still have most of the modules in excellent condition. He was a great story teller, and he "had a dream" too, and shared it with all of us.
Zzzapp
Blabberpuss

Post by Blabberpuss »

GG gone! What a great guy that developed a great game. D&D, then AD&D are great 'thinking' games. Played them for years myself. I had this great walnut 'valise' that I made and lined with foam to hold my books, Character sheets, dice, and cut outs for my hand painted characters. What a blast it was to spend hours on a dungeon crawl back in the 70 - 80's. The Keep at the Borderlands, The Temple of Elemental Evil, the Village at Hommlet... All great stories from a great and twisted mind.

BD, the key to getting laid during those times were to get your lady involved right beside you....
... like a speeding car with jammed door locks, cut brake lines, a dead steering wheel, and air vents that pump nitrous oxide. Everyone is dimly aware the country is heading for the edge of a cliff, but no one can muster the energy to search for alternatives.
CLICK ME
ME TOO!
THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!