Hello to those that remember me

Drop by and say hello if you're new to our boards and check out what we've been up to. [Public]

Moderator: BatMonk

Combo

Hello to those that remember me

Post by Combo »

Hello to all my old guildmates that are still around. It's been a long 25 months since I last logged in. Believe it or not I really didn't miss EQ too much until just recently again. Think I overdid it for too long. But now I am seriously comtemplating coming back on-line when the fall hits. A few questions:

Would you welcome back an old rusty mage?
How lost am I going to be? :)
Are the servers pretty well populated yet (i.e. not ghost towns now I hope)?
Where in the world would I begin (last time I was on I was almost level 75)?
MLF still the same family style/raiding guild it always was (I see Jorrell and Co. is still around so I assume so)? I certainly won't be able to play as much as I once did but I would like to get on a few times a week here and there and be able to help out when I can.

Take care to all and I hope MLF is alive and well. Looks like you all are.
Euan
Sherlock Holmes
nomorespam: 22

Re: Hello to those that remember me

Post by Euan »

* Mages don't rust. We just look bad relative to our pets to varying degrees.
* Not very. Sony took a page from Blizzard's book and went "easymode" on a few things. They didn't give away the farm entirely, but they've definitely cut back on some annoyances.
* Servers still have living, breathing players. Take heart though if someone you used to play with is gone - they can be easily replaced by a sexy Mercenary for a few hundred pp / hr. That's right, Cleric and Warrior "hirelings" with pretty solid AI to boot.
* 75-80 won't take you long, but the grind from 81-85 isn't pleasant. Folks still do it in a weekend, but that'd require a great group and some focus.
* Still not a mandatory raiding, but we're zipping through content pretty quickly. We're no longer "that family guild that raids" - more like "the only decent raiding guild that has been able to maintain their standards".
Disclaimer: The views expressed by the cranky board admin may not be aligned with those of MLF leadership.
Combo

Post by Combo »

Rent-a-bots eh? Interesting....definitely would help getting myself leveled back up.

What ever happened to PE? When I left they were one of the uber-guilds out there. They've been around since the early days of Morrell-Thule...but I don't anyone from PE on any of the leaderboards anymore. Assume they disbanded. Synergy a newer raiding guild? See some people I recognize in that one.

Anyway, thanks for the info. Summer months are packed this year. Three more weddings, including my own, to go to and also a trip to Mexico (hoping to catch that swine flu stuff :lol: )
Cenadyen

Post by Cenadyen »

Hi there Combo.

PE has merged with Resilience (Emarr guild) to form resolution of Erollisi Marr. Synergy is the merge between Reviction and Triune.

Anyway, glad to see that you are doing well! I don't think you will become too lost, the most significant change of the last two years is the massive gear inflation, but it wouldn't be hard to catch back up =D.
There are two players in the Village of Death 8)
Crystilla

Post by Crystilla »

Hey Combo!

Hubby Miasma says hello.

Few mergers and absorptions have taken place since you played last. Though folks are still progressing and having fun (progression or grouping), so the game is still enjoyable for a bunch of us.
Crystilla
EQ Round Table Member
Devout Brell serving wench
Primal Evolution
Combo

Post by Combo »

Played the trial server for awhile last night. Some things came back to me but wow, I have a really bad memory apparently. Lots to remember and figure out. Anyway, I think I might say screw it as far as waiting until the fall and I'll boot it back up tonight. Would like to be caught up somewhat by the time the next expansion comes out (they still do those every Novemberish?)
kungapow

Post by kungapow »

Aye still come out around same time every year... Next one gives us lvl 90 =)
Combo

Post by Combo »

Alright, Seeds of Destruction the only one since the Buried Sea? That was the last one I purchased...

Been downloading for an hour and a half....patcher says 2 hrs 10min to go :|
Llayne
nomorespam: 22

Post by Llayne »

After The Buried Sea, it was Secrets of Faydwer and then Seeds of Destruction :)

Post by Combo »

Thanks,

Everything purchased...now time to ge re-accustomed and cath up! :)
Jorrell
Guild Leader
nomorespam: 0

Post by Jorrell »

Combo wrote:...now time to ge re-accustomed and cath up!
Sounds painful! Welcome back, Combo. :D

Guild Leader of the Mystical Lightfighters
Darkenr

Post by Darkenr »

Combo wrote:Hello to all my old guildmates that are still around. It's been a long 25 months since I last logged in. Believe it or not I really didn't miss EQ too much until just recently again. Think I overdid it for too long. But now I am seriously comtemplating coming back on-line when the fall hits. A few questions:

Would you welcome back an old rusty mage?

Of course we want more mages!!! I'm trying to overrun MLF with mages *grins* err *cough* did I say that out loud? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

How lost am I going to be? :)

You won't be very lost, I'll be more than happy to help you out with anything you need to know about the mage since you've been gone, and places to hunt solo, with a merc, grouped, etc. Others I'm sure will be able to help you with progression (I'm not so great at knowledge on that one). Mage's have become FAR more powerful than what you remember from back when the level cap was 75. SoF granted, and brought Mage's back up to where they should be, but we're already starting on a downward slope like we were pre-SoF with only cut/paste upgrades to our pets again unfortunately. Also one of the most important things to a mage that you may want to know is you can get a raid level pet focus (Enhanced Minion IV) in a type 3 augment for just participating in a win on a tier 1 SoD raid which we have Tier 1 down to a science now and never fail.

Are the servers pretty well populated yet (i.e. not ghost towns now I hope)?

As others have said, the population is still very much there, but we're still suffering from the same problems we have for years (lack of players in the low level environments.)

Where in the world would I begin (last time I was on I was almost level 75)?

When you come back, and see me online, shoot me a tell and I'll help you out with everything you need to know as a returning mage.

MLF still the same family style/raiding guild it always was (I see Jorrell and Co. is still around so I assume so)?

Really easy answer to this one. Yes

I certainly won't be able to play as much as I once did but I would like to get on a few times a week here and there and be able to help out when I can.

Take care to all and I hope MLF is alive and well. Looks like you all are.
Good to see you returning Combo!! I would have responded to this sooner, but I've been on vacation the past week. I'm back now though!
Combo

Post by Combo »

Thanks Dark,

I will look you up when I catch up a bit more and get more aquainted again. Better pet focus item would be nice. Still using 1.5 as focus. How much better in the aug you mentioned?
Darkenr

Post by Darkenr »

Combo wrote:Thanks Dark,

I will look you up when I catch up a bit more and get more aquainted again. Better pet focus item would be nice. Still using 1.5 as focus. How much better in the aug you mentioned?
Actually the 1.5 is not a pet focus. It's click buff effect is just that, a buff for the pet. All the epic 1.5 does is increases the pet's hps by 800, give a small damage proc, and defensive proc (that only works on mobs up to 75).

Pet focus will change all things about your pet, including hps, AC, level, damage (both melee and spell), atk power, and depending on the level of a pet focus will determine the strength of a special cloak that will get presummoned on your pet that was introduced in SoF. This cloak only will work on the level 76+ pets. Lower tier pet focuses will summon a lower tier cloak like in the example below, but if you get a raid level pet focus that cloak will have capped out mod2s. All 76+ mage pets get presummoned with full pet armor made for that era (the new plate armor + jewelry + belt + mask), but not with the weapons so you can choose what type of weapon you want.

Ex.

In the picture below is the pet stats of all of the 81-85 pets, and their stats depending on the pet focus. The pet focus you would receive for joining us on an SoD tier 1 raid is Enhanced Minion IV.

If you notice, the difference between an unfocussed air pet to an EMIV focussed air pet is like night and day in the difference in power. The EMIV air pet has 4k more hps than the unfocussed, and nearly double the AC. Also, the EMIV focus is a raid focus, and the cloak that's presummoned on it has near capped mod2s (30+% shielding, spell shielding, near 100 avoidance, etc)

A couple notes to interpret the stats of the pets in the charts below:

The AC looks low, but that's only because the AC is pure AC without any kind of soft caps on AC.

To determine how hard a pet will hit for unbuffed (without aura, or BO modifiers) you take the Base damage x2 + the min damage.

Ex.
Unfocussed Air pet: 112 x 2 + 102 = 326
EMIV Focussed Air pet: 136 x 2 + 127 = 399

Unfocussed RS pet: 292 x 2 + 292 = 876
EMIV Focussed RS pet: 360 x 2 + 361 = 1081

Let me know if you have any questions.

Combo

Post by Combo »

Interesting...I used to keep up with all of this stuff. Can't remember what pet focus I left off on...but for some reason I had always thought the 1.5 was a focus. Not sure where I pulled that from. So guessing I have an unfocused pet nowadays then. Will definitely have to work on getting that fixed.

Thanks again for the info....you are a big help in my crash course to remembering the intricicies of this game.

Still have a question or two...I'll hit you up ingame on them.